[NBLUG/talk] Linux virus protection?

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Tue Jul 11 07:21:23 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 06:34:34AM -0400, Jack Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently set up a test box on our internal bank network running Fedora 5
> and my boss wants virus protection on it.  So, two questions.  Is he crazy?
> And even if he is, he's the boss, so what out there is good, free, and not a
> Trojan?
>
> Thanks,
> Jack

I wouldn't say he's crazy, however most of the virus scanners you will find
"for Linux" actually are used to scan for Windows viruses either because
the Linux server is routing email or is acting as a fileserver. There are
really only a handful of Linux viruses around, most are more "proof of
concept" than anything. Really root kits are what end up compromising Linux
systems the most, and a virus scanner won't really help with that.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org