[NBLUG/talk] Missing ReiserFS superblock!

Lincoln Peters petersl at sonoma.edu
Mon Jul 24 12:34:13 PDT 2006

On Jul 24, 2006, at 9:27 AM, Bob Blick wrote:

> ReiserFS ultimately screws up badly as I have found by personal
> experience
> on two occasions. There are also other reasons to avoid it as
> others have
> found out. In general it is being avoided.

I remember you expressing those sentiments on several past occasions.

> But back to your current problem. If you want to run reiserfsck you
> need
> to do it on a known good drive, not on the suspect drive(s).

That may not be practical.  This is a RAID-5 array with a total
capacity of 500GB. I'm starting to think I might want to get such a
thing for backups anyway, given that there seem to be serious
problems that RAID isn't protecting me against, but it's an expensive
option (and I'm on a tight budget!).

> Reiserfsck
> barely works at all, and not on bad hardware. You also need to protect
> your data. So you must make a mirror on a new hard drive and work from
> that. Hopefully you will come out better than I did.

My "bad blocks" scan finished last night.  No bad blocks on any of my
disks.

I guess at least it's not as bad as it could be...

> Reiserfsck lost .4%
> of my files, but of the files and directories it did not lose, 15%
> of them
> lost their original names and replaced them with a number, leaving
> me to
> view each with a hex editor to try to figure out what each one was.
> Try
> that yourself sometime with 30000 files.

Ouch!

> Best of luck to you. Get that stuff imaged on a new drive today. Then
> switch to EXT3 which has mature tools.

I'll see what I can get done.

--
Lincoln Peters
<petersl at sonoma.edu>

It is clear that the individual who persecutes a man, his brother,
because
he is not of the same opinion, is a monster.
- Voltaire