[NBLUG/talk] Missing ReiserFS superblock!

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Mon Jul 24 12:55:45 PDT 2006

>> But back to your current problem. If you want to run reiserfsck you
>> need
>> to do it on a known good drive, not on the suspect drive(s).
>
> That may not be practical.  This is a RAID-5 array with a total
> capacity of 500GB. I'm starting to think I might want to get such a
> thing for backups anyway, given that there seem to be serious
> problems that RAID isn't protecting me against, but it's an expensive
> option (and I'm on a tight budget!).

You might use my setup for ideas.  For extra compatibility, I have a
raid-5 array but not as the boot device (I can always plug the raid card
into a different machine if I have to). I had a drive failure(note: never
buy OEM packaged drives from newegg.com, they let them fight it out in the
box together.) and replaced the drive with no loss. That does not protect
you against filesystem errors as you found out, so I also have backups.
The array is larger than the biggest single drive I could buy(at the
time), so I have 2 external USB 2.0 drives that I make backups to using
rsync. Having these backups on external drives is good, because the power
supplies are separate from the computer. In the past I had a machine die
because the power supply suddenly supplied 100 volts to the
motherboard(yes the fan spun very fast for a couple of seconds accompanied
by many popping sounds, smoke, and smells). I run rsync manually so if I
know something's wrong I'll act accordingly.

You can get 500GB (and larger) drives now, so you could back up to one drive.

Cheerful regards,

Bob