[NBLUG/talk] Good hardwar vendors (was Missing ReiserFS superblock!)

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Mon Jul 24 14:15:50 PDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 02:02:04PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> On Jul 24, 2006, at 1:27 PM, Troy Arnold wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 12:55:45PM -0700, Bob Blick wrote:
> >>note: never buy OEM packaged drives from newegg.com, they let them
> >>fight
> >>it out in the box together.)
> >
> >You're not kidding.  I've written them about this practice.  Sometimes
> >they're packaged o.k., and sometimes not.  The last time (and the last
> >straw), one of the drives wasn't even bubblewrapped all the way
> >around.
>
> Who would you recommend buying hard drives from, then?

That's a great question.  I started to ask it myself, but didn't want to
hijack your thread...

For me personally, there's another issue -- newegg doesn't have even a
remotely reasonable shipping option to Hawaii.  So I'd definitely like to
hear about other good, ethical vendors.  Tough to beat or equal Newegg on
those counts, though.

p.s. you need a nickname -- something like 'Lincoln "The Disc Slayer"
Peters', but more catchy ;-)

-t