[NBLUG/talk] Missing ReiserFS superblock! (the plot thickens...)

Lincoln Peters petersl at sonoma.edu
Fri Jul 28 20:00:37 PDT 2006

On Jul 28, 2006, at 7:21 PM, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> I scoured the mdadm manpage, and can't find anything that seems to
> have any effect on the situation.

OK, now I feel like kicking myself.  It turned out to be as simple as:

# mdadm --stop /dev/md1
# mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md1 --level=5 --raid-devices=2  /dev/
mapper/csda3 /dev/hda3 /dev/mapper/chde1

(It asked me to confirm the second command, as the devices I gave it
appeared to already be part of an array.  Of course, I said "yes".)

Why this worked and nothing else did, I have no idea.

At the moment, I'm running reiserfsck on the disk, so it's still
possible that something will turn out to be horribly wrong and I just
haven't found it yet.  But that seems unlikely.  I'll keep you all
informed.

Well, to keep this from being a total waste of time, energy, and an
external hard drive, I think I'll at least migrate to XFS, with dm-
crypt running on top of (rather than underneath) the RAID array.  And
then I'll set up automatic backups to that external hard drive.  And
then...maybe I'll see if I can build a high-availability cluster
using the parts lying around in my garage!!!

--
Lincoln "The DiskBuster" Peters
<petersl at sonoma.edu>

Some men love truth so much that they seem to be in continual fear
lest she should catch a cold on overexposure.
                 -- Samuel Butler