[NBLUG/talk] car computers

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Thu Jul 27 11:49:24 PDT 2006

> Back it up there, Bob.
>
> You've had a car computer since 1999?
>
> This must have been a homebrew unit.
>
> Are you willing to describe it bit for us? I've been tossing around in my
> head
> possible ways to integrate parts and pieces I have (GPS, mapping, mp3)
> into a
> box permanently residing in the car. Operative terms here are: bone pile,
> ugly, cheap-to-zero-expense, way fun, bragging rights.

Hi Robert,

Technically it was in 1998 I guess:
http://bobblick.com/techref/projects/yammp3/yammp3.html

And then I built a much faster one in 2000:
http://bobblick.com/techref/projects/mp3book/mp3book.html

Lately I've been messing with graphic LCDs for it. I'm not much interested
in mapping, just playing music. But I designed an OBDII interface several
years ago and I do intend to incorporate that sometime so I can get more
vehicle information than just the dashboard gauges. I really have very
little time to work on stuff like that so it may not happen until I get a
new car. That seems to be when I get the energy to do a car project.

If you want to do mapping I'd suggest a liliput type of vga display with
usb touchscreen. Some of the new ones have better contrast which is needed
in cars especially when you get in and it's really hot, LCDs tend to
blacken while it's hot.

There's lots of stuff available now so it doesn't have to be totally
homebrew like it was when I did it. It just takes gobs of cash. But
definitely you don't have to build your own power supply anymore. I highly
recommend, if you do buy a power supply, to make sure it will handle the
wide voltage range that you get in a car.

You do have to consider the power budget and the amount of heat produced!
You can't use a P4. Athlons are better but still power-hungry. Mine has a
533Mhz Celeron and it runs cool enough with a single quiet fan, and I can
run it with the car shut off without worrying if I'll need to get a
jumpstart later.

Cheerful regards,

Bob