[NBLUG/talk] Electronic format to audio

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Mon Jul 31 16:43:27 PDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 03:51:36PM -0700, Scott Doty wrote:

> Yikes -- I thought I'd give this a shot, so I went into gnome-control-center
> and clicked the screen reader -- now anything having to do with gnome
> crashes. :/
>
> Does someone know where to shut off "accessibility" from the shell?  (We're
> talking a major failure here -- ay carumba!)

If you knew the proper gconf key, you could use gconftool to manipulate it.
This is how I get emacs keybindings, for instance:

gconftool-2 -s -t string /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_key_theme Emacs

You could find that key, perhaps, by logging into gnome as another user or
get a Gnome-using friend to dig it up for you.  I don't have gnome
installed anywhere or I'd take a look.

Another option: you could temporarily switch your desktop environment to
something that works and see if the gconf-editor GUI will let you edit the gconf
stuff.

Or you could try grep -r through ~/.gconf ...

good luck!

-troy