[NBLUG/talk] My new debin server

Dean A. Roman droman at romansystems.com
Thu Jun 1 12:34:54 PDT 2006

Lincoln Peters wrote:

> William Tracy wrote:
>
>>> In theory, Linux shouldn't swap out recently-used or commonly-used
>>> pages
>>> to make room for buffer/cache.  If you are experiencing paging when
>>> switching applications, then you do need more physical RAM.
>>

>> It's a problem when you switch to a program that hasn't been used for
>> a few hours. :-P
>

> I suppose you could try using a ramdisk as a swap partition.  I know
> it sounds crazy, but I know people who swear it offers some kind of
> performance gain, perhaps due to this (sometimes over-aggressive)
> swapping.

There is nothing that says you absolutely need a swap partition.
You could eliminate your entire swap partition altogether effectively
removing the possibility of swapping.
Just use the "swapon" and "swapoff" commands.

vmstat is your friend...try "vmstat 1" to see an ongoing status of cpu,
memory usage, paging, etc.  "free -m" also shows you how much swap is
being used.

Thanks,
   ---Dean.

--