[NBLUG/talk] New non-profit, community colo open in San Francisco

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Fri Feb 16 04:08:41 PST 2007

On Thu, February 15, 2007 09:09, Scott Doty wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 04:42:23PM -0800, Ian wrote:

>> A corporate colo probably would have forced the client to
>> comply with Diebold's lawyers.
>
> Buddy, that kind of ticks me off.  Not only is that a cheap shot, but you
> don't seem to realize we (Sonic.net) have been donating space and
> bandwidth to NBLUG since their inception.

Scott,

A more-charitable reading of Ian's post may simply be that, for example, a
"corporate" ISP simply gets hit with too many DMCA notes _that_ _are_
_legit_ (under DMCA law... go to your legislator if you have a gripe with
that law (I know _I_ do...) )  and so simply may not have the time &/or
other  resources to check out all the pages for "compliance".

A more-charitable reading might be that a "corporate" ISP might figure
that (since it's corporate) it can't get EFF support (AFAIK, that'd be an
incorrect assumption... but one that smaller companies might make) and
hasn't the money to fight off Diebold lawyers; i.e. that they don't have
any choice.

Granted, it *does* take a bit of charity to view his post that way... but
I don't *think* he actually intended to slam all "incorporated" ISP's; I
honestly think it was overly-casual phrasing (and, maybe, overly-casual
thinking... ;-)

> Seriously, it really peeves me that, somehow, those who incorporate
> don't have souls.

Whoa! <blinks>
You've still got yer _soul_??!?
Naw... REALLY???

Wow.  Just... wow.

But, your firstborn is, like, Damien or something, right?   ;-)

- Steve