[NBLUG/talk] vmplayer configuration question

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Sun May 6 12:03:19 PDT 2007

OK.  Turns out it wasn't (or may not have been) a problem with the vmmon
module at all.  I eventually gave up trying to make the patch for the module
work and upgraded from Core5 to 6; figuring that the modules would be easier
to find.  No luck.  What turned out to be the problem was a slight
difference between the kernel and kernel-devel

[root at natsumi ~]# rpm -qa --queryformat
"%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n" | grep kernel | sort
kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.x86_64
kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.i686
kernel-headers-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.x86_64

After removing the i686 kernel-devel and installing the x86-64, the config
program worked.  Windows is happily installing from a copy of Windows XP
Home that I bought about a year ago by mistake and all is well with the
world.  Well, all will be well if I can run the software I did all of this
for..

Thanks everybody, for your help,
Jack

On 5/5/07, Lincoln Peters < sampln at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 05 May 2007 12:01, Jack Smith wrote:
> > Aaarghh.  So doesn't it work in Core 5?  Should I upgrade?  Build the
> > player from the tar file instead of using the rpm?  Something simple and
> > obvious (I hope) that I'm missing?
>
> My guess is that the vmmon module was written for a different version of
> the
> kernel.  Usually the difference between minor releases (e.g. 2.6.x) are
> small, and won't break third-party modules, but sometimes they do.
>
> Probably the easiest solution is to find out what version of the Linux
> kernel
> the vmmon module was originally written for and use that, even if it's
> slightly older than what you're running now.
>

> Another possibility is that the Fedora kernel contains third-party patches
> that breaks something in vmmon.  If that's the case, you might have to
> build
> a custom kernel, and that has a much steeper learning curve than typing in
> "rpm -U kernel".  Hopefully it won't come to that.
>

> --
> Lincoln Peters          < sampln at sbcglobal.net>
>
> A classic is something that everyone wants to have read
> and nobody wants to read.
>                 -- Mark Twain, "The Disappearance of Literature"

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.