[NBLUG/talk] OT: Sources for Salary Data

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Sat Nov 14 07:54:52 PST 2009

Dave Sisley wrote:
> Hey -
>
> I need to do some research on salaries for different sorts of IT skill
> sets, & I'm wondering if anyone out there has a favorite source for that
> sort of data?  It might save me some time.
>
> Mostly I want to answer questions like: "If we were to hire somebody to
> do X, how much should we expect to pay them?" and "Hey, while I'm
> looking, how does my salary stack up?"
>
> I'll try to post links if I can find some interesting and useful sites.
>
> Thanks in advance for any tips.
>
> -dave.

I'm following up on my original post with the little bit that I found
with regard to salaries.  The only worthwhile data comes from the
California Employment Development Department (EDD).

I found a neat little database where you can put in some parameters and
get data for particular job classes for specific counties.  Here are 3
samples (Sonoma County):

Network and Computer Systems Administrators
<http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/cgi/databrowsing/occExplorerQSDetails.asp?searchCriteria=system+administrator&careerID=&menuChoice=occexplorer&geogArea=0604000097&soccode=151071&search=Explore+Occupation>
Computer Programmers
<http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/cgi/databrowsing/occExplorerQSDetails.asp?searchCriteria=programmer&careerID=&menuChoice=occexplorer&geogArea=0604000097&soccode=151021&search=Explore+Occupation>
Computer and Information Systems Managers
<http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/cgi/databrowsing/occExplorerQSDetails.asp?searchCriteria=Information+Technology+Director&careerID=&menuChoice=occexplorer&geogArea=0604000097&soccode=113021&search=Explore+Occupation>

And Here
<http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/cgi/databrowsing/occexplorerqsselection.asp?menuchoice=occexplorer>
is a link to the page where you can punch in whatever your parameters.

I'd still be curious if anyone else had any tips for information of this
type.  I will post this on the SoCoSA site as well.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at sonic.net