[NBLUG/talk] Configuring sendmail to forward email via sonic.net

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Mon Aug 26 12:11:51 PDT 2013

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013, Todd Cary wrote:

> For many years I have avoided sendmail on my Centos 5 since my PHP class does
> the job, however I now need to have it work since my client is using
> Concrete5 (CMS) and it is hard wired to use sendmail.
>
> Sonic uses a prot different from the standard of 25, plus sendmail has
> properties well over my head.  Has anyone on this group configured sendmail
> to forward through Sonic?
>
> With appreciation...
>
> Todd

hi Todd,

for other mail relay configurations i use the SmartHost directive in
the sendmail configuration file, normally at /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

looking down in that file you'll see this in the local info section (at
line 93 in my config file were there is no Smart Host):

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DS

you add the host name after DS with no whitespace, so if sonic's
mail server were mail.sonic.net your entry would be:

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSmail.sonic.net

but this would use port 25 and you indicate that they don't relay
for customers with that port.   so this may not be what sonic's
set up needs from you.

note that Frank mentioned that other mail MTAs (Mail Transport Agents)
have their binary or a link from the location where sendmail would be
installed in a system, so applications (such as your Concrete) don't
have to be recompiled to use an alternate MTA.   so if your mail config
works for sonic it would normally be expected to "just work" for any
new application regardless of whether you're using sendmail or an alternate
MTA.

you should have errors reported by the application log files if the
application can't transfer the mail to the local MTA, and if you're
using sendmail, and it can't forward the message, then look for
errors in /var/log/maillog.

The OP suggesting contacting sonic support is also good, since they
would have had other customers needing to do the same as you want
to do.

-ron