About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Sat Jul 15 20:07:32 PDT 2000

} So I would think that the linux box could be
}
} 192.168.1.4
}
} But I don't know where to make that entry.

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.4
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
USERCTL=yes

} Incidentally, I cannot call the tool "ifconfig" from a terminal window
} in linux,  bash tells me it was not found.

That's because the directory it's in isn't in your path.  Use
"/sbin/ifconfig" instead.  The same is true for the route command, use
"/sbin/route".

also check /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=
DOMAINNAME=
GATEWAY=
FORWARD_IPV4=yes
GATEWATDEV=eth0

I don't know all the values you need for this file.  The gateway will be
your linksys router IP address.  Hostname is whatever you named your box.
Domainname is optional, your ISPs domain, or whatever you made up for
your home network, or leave it out.

also check /etc/resolv.conf
search
nameserver
nameserver

After search put your isp's domain (sonic.net, or whatever) Then list
any namservers one at a time on the lines starting with "nameserver".
These must be an IP address (xxx.yyy.qqq.zzz) not an name.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com