About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 15 19:32:49 PDT 2000

I have tried the DHCP method of configuration, and the LinkSys router
handled it well
for each of the macintoshes.  When I configured the TCP/IP control
panels of the macintoshes,
there ware no entries needed in the IP, Subnet mask or router boxes.

After reading the posting from ME,  I set both macintoshes back to
"manual" configuration,
with the following addresses:

router 192.168.1.1
macLC 192.168.1.2
iMac   192.168.1.3

So I would think that the linux box could be

192.168.1.4

But I don't know where to make that entry.

I found 2 Media Access Control addresses
in a query to the LinkSys router (by putting the router address in a
browser request)
 for LAN it was 00-20-78-C8-37-C8
for WAN it was 00-20-78-C8-37-C9

The LinkSys router actually sends a "web page" through the LAN to either
of
the macintoshes, allowing me to choose DHCP, BOOTP or manual
and to observe the status of the line and ISP connections.

I think all I need to do is configure the Linux box for "manual"
operation.

Incidentally, I cannot call the tool "ifconfig" from a terminal window
in linux,
bash tells me it was not found.

I can start "netcfg" or "netconf" or "control-panel" from the terminal
window.

John