problems connecting to the net.

M. David Minnigerode minniger at gemteq.com
Mon Nov 13 11:08:49 PST 2000

lynn sears wrote:

> Hello, I'm experiencing problems with three linux machines--the same problem.
> I can't seem to enable networking. 2 machines are connected to the net through
> a dsl router and I have entered all the configuration info using
> linuxconf.  when i
> activate the changes and preview what has to be done I get the message
> executing /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network reload.  So I  ./S10network start and
> things
> seem to be fine, eth0 comes up OK but still no connection.  I think I'm
> using the
> correct NIC modules ie tulip for a linksys card and de4x5 for a Farallon card.
> Maybe the bios needs to be changed or ???? Both of these machines are emachines
> dual boot runnning 6.1 red hat.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance...Lynn

Make sure you do a restart on the network.
You can restart the networking via the actual script:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

Check the /var/log/messages file near the end to see if your getting any error
messages
from the drivers/network when you attempt to restart the network.

Check the /var/log/dmesg file for the same.

If no errors then it's probably the network config.

Try /sbin/ifconfig and make sure the settings for eth0 are what you expected.

Try netstat -r and post it.  Could be a routing problem... which can be tricky to
diagnose.

Depending on your router (if it has dhcp) you can just use linuxconf to set the
machines to
load their configs from the dhcp server.

later

dave