[NBLUG TALK] More RH 7.0/GCC news

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Oct 7 21:11:40 PDT 2000

begin Dustin Mollo quotation:

> I agree with Rick in the relm of RH being a 'leader' in getting glibc
> out to people, but I personally wasn't afraid to installed 5.0.  I
> guess simply because I knew that was the way the world would be going.

Yes.  Everyone else benefitted tremendously from Red Hat doing that, and
they took a lot of unjustified abuse, at the time.

The way I understand it, the main category of application that "broke"
on RH 5.0 were those that not only were libc5-dependent, but also
compiled to invoke "soname" libc.so.  But that wasn't Red Hat's fault:
If your application needs libc version 5, you should compile it to use
soname libc.so.5 (or something like libc.so.5.3, if you need to be
that specific).  Most of the applications that broke were badly built,
in other words.

--
Cheers,                   "Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm
Rick Moen                 for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he will be warm