RCHS donation status

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 13 17:08:24 PST 2001

The server that I demo'ed Tuesday night was dropped on the way back to RCHS.
  The /netboot hard drive may have been damaged, but the IDE hard drive with
the / filesystem is O.K. (I don't yet know about the SCSI with /usr and
/var).

As many of you may have noticed, I have already received a motherboard and
an NIC from Mike Rice.  I have installed it in the case formerly occupied by
the burnt-out motherboard, and will test it when I've finished my homework.

WARNING!!!
Don't donate hardware directly to the school.  I talked to their technician
about it, and he said that he was afraid to introduce any new computers to
the network because he's overworked with the number of different
configurations that they already have.  I'm thinking, "What, is it really
hard to manage Windows and MacOS?"

Maybe I'm just a better technician, but anyway, they are not going to accept
donations until I can convince them that they are worth it.  At the moment,
all of the equipment (except for the server) is in my garage, and until I
have something useful for them, it will have to stay there.  Of course, I do
not plan to leave it in my garage forever; if RCHS doesn't want it, I'll
offer it to another school.