Donations for the Ranch

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Dec 13 20:16:41 PST 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 12:45:50PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
} >From: E Frank Ball <frankb at efball.com>
} >
} >HSC used to (and still might) sell IDE controllers for $3 to $5 each
} >depending on what they had in stock.  They worked great with linux, I
} >put them in several boxes as a secondary controller.  If they are no
} >longer available I might be able to spare one, I'll have to look around.
}
} Are they PCI or ISA?  I bought a so-called ISA IDE controller there a while
} ago, and it turned out to be a soundcard with a CD-ROM connector.  I should
} have known; it had RCA audio ports on the back.

One of the IDE controllers HSC sold had RCA connectors on the back, but
it was just to get rear panel connections from a CDROM drive or
something, the only function of the card was an IDE controller.  These
are very small very simple cards.  Three ICs, an IRQ jumper, 4
capacitors, and 2 resistors.  There was a plug for audio in and the IDE
bus.  This was the $3 card.  The whole card was about 1.5"x6"

   E Frank Ball                efball at efball.com