Booting Linux from an internal IDE Zip disk?

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Wed Dec 19 17:13:50 PST 2001

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 05:01:58PM -0800, Dustin Mollo wrote:
} On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 04:58:56PM -0800, E Frank Ball wrote:
} > In my first example an internal ATAPI drive is a slave on the primary
} > IDE controller and shows up as drive "B".  Shouldn't it be possible to
} > boot from this device?  (I haven't tried and I'm not going to for a
} > number of reasons).
}
} Hmm...do you have a modular kernel?  If so, do you see ide-floppy loaded?

If I mount a zip disc ide-floppy gets loaded.

} Yes, you SHOULD be able to boot from the Zip drive.  I have questions as to
} whether or not LILO can boot from a Zip drive (well...ATAPI at least).  I
} also suspect that there MAY be a configuration issue with the lilo.conf file
} being used to write LILO to the Zip disk.

It might work better if the zip drive was reformatted to ext2 (which I
usually do anyway).  I'm not sure about how a master boot sector would
work on a zip drive.

   E Frank Ball                efball at efball.com