Booting Linux from an internal IDE Zip disk?

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Wed Dec 19 17:21:56 PST 2001

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 05:13:50PM -0800, E Frank Ball wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 05:01:58PM -0800, Dustin Mollo wrote:
> } Yes, you SHOULD be able to boot from the Zip drive.  I have questions as to
> } whether or not LILO can boot from a Zip drive (well...ATAPI at least).  I
> } also suspect that there MAY be a configuration issue with the lilo.conf file
> } being used to write LILO to the Zip disk.
>
> It might work better if the zip drive was reformatted to ext2 (which I
> usually do anyway).  I'm not sure about how a master boot sector would
> work on a zip drive.

In theory, it shouldn't make a difference.  It all should just work.  I'm
suspecting, however, that LILO either isn't config'd properly, or it doesn't
like living on the ATAPI Zip drive/disk.  The disk he has is ext2 formatted.

I suggested the floppy/Zip combo.  It would seem to solve all problems and
any future ones.  Sure, it's a bit more cumbersome, but potentially could be
extremely more flexable.

In an ideal world, I'd love to suggest Brad's idea of VMWare.  I hadn't
thought of that...and I'm surprised about that actually.  hehe...
Considering the budget issues, though, I doubt buying 30 copies of VMWare
would make it very far.  It does open up a LARGE number of other
possibilities, though.

-Dustin