Stampede

Colin Marquardt colin.marquardt at usa.alcatel.com
Fri Mar 23 10:40:33 PST 2001

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> writes:

> begin  Colin Marquardt quotation:
>
> > Debian is like emacs: you can do everything with it.
>
> I hope you realise that I wasn't talking about Debian, in the post you
> were replying to (but rather about Stampede).  It's certainly OK if you
> were just branching off from that topic, but I wasn't sure.

I was aware that you were talking about Stampede, I was just offering
a more mainstream solution.

> > Sure, the packages do not come pre-compiled with that optimization,
> > but with apt's deb-src spec it is easy to re-build the important
> > packages.
>
> Indeed, an upcoming version of apt will even take care of getting the
> build dependencies for you automatically.  It's getting closer to the
> FreeBSD ports system all the time, on the source-code side.

HMM, AFAIK apt itself is there yet (since the days of the potato
release), but the packages themselves are probably not fully up to
speed on source dependencies. I haven't tried it lately.

> > I couldn't even use Stampede (well, not without quite some disadvantages
> > at least) since I have an Athlon system.
>
> Hmm, I have no idea what effect pgcc compilation would have on Athlons.
> For what it's worth, the Stampede betas I tried earlier ran great on my
> K6/233.

I am also not sure what the difference is between compiling with pgcc
(is this still a separate compiler nowadays?) and architecture flags
to a current gcc.

[Any strange wording is probably due to me being a German]

Cheers,
  Colin