[NBLUG/talk] Distributing OpenOffice to schools

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 12 18:31:03 PDT 2003

>From: E Frank Ball <frankb at efball.com>
>To: talk at nblug.org
>Subject: Re: [NBLUG/talk] Distributing OpenOffice to schools
>Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:08:45 -0700
>
>} I think I've also heard of a version of OpenOffice.org which is
>} 'prelinked,' which means it comes up quite a bit faster.  (Still dog
>slow,
>} but not AS dog slow ;^) )
>}
>} What it does is kind of 'get around' the whole class name mangling
>} (or whatever it is) that has to happen when a C++ app first starts up.
>
>I installed the windows version of OpenOffice 1.1 and it does this.
>Is there a linux version that works that way?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Linux version of OpenOffice 1.1 does this.
Keep in mind, however, that OpenOffice 1.1 has NOT been released yet; the
version available from the website is clearly marked as a release candidate.
  The final release is not expected until late September/early October, the
same time they intend to officially kick off the education campaign (and
until then, I'm just trying to gathering support for it).

I tried the release candidate about a month ago, and I could tell that there
were still bugs that needed to be fixed (I didn't notice if it "pre-linked"
or not).  Currenly, I'm still using 1.0.3.1.