[NBLUG/talk] apt-get repositories

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Wed Aug 13 09:11:02 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 05:22:24PM -0700, Dave Sisley wrote:
> I have another question, of course.  Running 'apt-cache show gaim', I
> get info on *both* versions:  .59 and .66.  Does this mean that both are
> present, or will apt sort this out next time I use it to upgrade gaim.
> I moved up to .66 by just downloading the rpm from sourceforge and
> installing it through rpm, not apt-get.

"apt-cache show gaim" will actually pull from two different sources:
1) The database of installed packages
2) The database of packages available via apt from any source.

Showing both versions just means that both are out there somewhere in one of
those places.  If you run "apt-get install gaim" it'd try for the latest
version unless you went through some special effort.

If you want to see what version you actually have installed "rpm -q gaim" or
"rpm -qi gaim" would be the way to go.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Vice-President Pro Tempore