[NBLUG/talk] Clock Problem

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Mon Dec 1 21:37:00 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 09:17:50PM -0800, ShadowEyez wrote:
} RH 8/2.4.18-14

} Every time I boot to linux the system clock is set to
} about 8 hours before "real time".  I set the clock to "real
} time" and reboot, and note that the hwclock program
} synchronizes the system clock to the hardware or realtime
} clock, then check the BIOS and it shows the "real time".  If
} I boot to linux and simply restart, the incorrect time will
} be displayed in the BIOS (meaning the system clock linux
} software uses set the hardware clock incorrectly).  I have
} noticed during bootup that before the majority of the
} services load, there is a message saying "System Clock set
} to ____" and this sets the system clock to the "real time".
} As soon as I log in though, the system clock is changed, so
} something in the boot process may be to blame.  Any ideas?

} BTW - when I say "real time" I do not mean UTC, just the
} local time.  The time that it says on a watch or clock, that
} matches the sun's position in the sky ;-)

8 hours just happens to be the difference between Pacific time an UTC.
It's probably not a coincidence.  What is in /etc/sysconfig/clock?

zikzak:/etc/sysconfig 43% cat clock
ZONE="America/Los_Angeles"
UTC=false
ARC=false