[NBLUG/talk] Fedora...

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Wed Dec 3 10:03:01 PST 2003

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 09:39, Steve wrote:
> =) But I was wondering.
> I have a RH8.0 box that is a box in service, it runs apache and
> sendmail and a couple other services.. Its important that this box
> does not go down.
> So is converting over to fedora seamless? Or can I expect problems?

opinions are like ******* everybody has one....

How lucky do you feel?  Remember Murphy's Law?....  I wouldn't expect
problems... but I would be prepared for them....  If it is a fairly generic
box with good supported hardware and a consistent package database I don't
see a problem with the UPgrade.

> Should I just say what the heck and just build a debian box and then
> swap the hard drives late one night?

Now that's an idea.....  But why not spend 3 days and build a gentoo box...
from source. ; )

> I'm really concerned about no more security updates down the road.  I
> know I can patch stuff by hand, but having a package manager take care
> of this stuff is always a sweet idea. =)

Lazy Butt.....  Educate yourself, knowledge is power.
I think you will see the community and Red Hat provide security updates.....
I know my fedora boxes have had a couple of updates already.  No diff.  yum
kicks.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer