[NBLUG/talk] Fedora...

Steve srj at adnd.com
Wed Dec 3 10:16:01 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:02:44AM -0800, Mark Street wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 December 2003 09:39, Steve wrote:
> > =) But I was wondering.
> > I have a RH8.0 box that is a box in service, it runs apache and
> > sendmail and a couple other services.. Its important that this box
> > does not go down.
> > So is converting over to fedora seamless? Or can I expect problems?
>
> opinions are like ******* everybody has one....

Yep =) This is true.

> How lucky do you feel?  Remember Murphy's Law?....  I wouldn't expect
> problems... but I would be prepared for them....  If it is a fairly generic
> box with good supported hardware and a consistent package database I don't
> see a problem with the UPgrade.

My box is pretty generic.. A few things I compiled by hand and wouldnt
want updated such as the kernel, apache and php.  I have
some modules (well 1) that doesn't come with any redhat RPMS that I usualy
have to install by hand. =)

> > Should I just say what the heck and just build a debian box and then
> > swap the hard drives late one night?
>
> Now that's an idea.....  But why not spend 3 days and build a gentoo box...
> from source. ; )

My experience are with RedHat and Debian, Kinda would like to stick with
what I know.. I really don't know anything about gentoo.. just heard
it mentioned a couple times here.

> > I'm really concerned about no more security updates down the road.  I
> > know I can patch stuff by hand, but having a package manager take care
> > of this stuff is always a sweet idea. =)
>
> Lazy Butt.....  Educate yourself, knowledge is power.
> I think you will see the community and Red Hat provide security updates.....
> I know my fedora boxes have had a couple of updates already.  No diff.  yum
> kicks.

Ya, I'm kinda lazy.. but truth of the matter is, I also have a small
server farm I need to take care of at work, and this box is my colo
at sonic which isn't a mission criticle box, but I do get several thousand
hits a day and have alot of return visitors on my site, and would hate to
be down due to that =)  I also host a website for my mom =) and down time
is not acceptable to mom lol!

I think I have grown to be to dependent on up2date haha.  Maybe I should
just start compiling from source. =)

-Steve

--
----
      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."