[NBLUG/talk] Debian and Portmap

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Fri Jun 27 13:10:05 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 12:52:07PM -0700, Steve wrote:
} I don't really have a need for portmap to be running on my
} system but for some odd reason it loads up on boot up (New
} debian install). in my inittab I am setup for run level 3 as my default
} (Why does Debian default to runlevel 2?) and in my
} /etc/rc3.d directory I taylord it to only run the stuff I want it to run.

} Ok so where is portmap getting started?  I don't trust portmap =)

Did you check /etc/rcS.d, it runs this  before your final run level.

You shouldn't trust portmap, it's a huge security hole.  Debian really
tries to install it and run it as a default for some reason.  I do an
apt-get remove portmap on my boxes.

"Why does Debian default to runlevel 2?".  Why not?  What's so special
about run level 3?  or 5?  It all seems completely arbitrary to me.
SuSE, Debian, and Redhat all setup runlevels differently.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com