[NBLUG/talk] Debian and Portmap

Steve srj at adnd.com
Fri Jun 27 13:18:00 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 01:11:29PM -0700, E Frank Ball wrote:
> Did you check /etc/rcS.d, it runs this  before your final run level.
>
> You shouldn't trust portmap, it's a huge security hole.  Debian really
> tries to install it and run it as a default for some reason.  I do an
> apt-get remove portmap on my boxes.
>
> "Why does Debian default to runlevel 2?".  Why not?  What's so special
> about run level 3?  or 5?  It all seems completely arbitrary to me.
> SuSE, Debian, and Redhat all setup runlevels differently.
<snip>

Ya I just took a look in rcS.d thats where it was. =) Ya my main concern
about portmap is all the exploits over the years.. So I wanted to get rid
of it.

As for run levels, I've used RedHat since about 1997 (V4.2 on up) so I'm
just use to runlevel3 =)  Also before RedHat I used slackware (.99 kernel
on up) and I thought it defaulted to runlevel 3 also, so I assumed
that was standard =)

I'm learning allot with this debian install, and I am really liking it.
Wish I would have made the switch years ago.

-Steve

--
----
      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."