[NBLUG/talk] Shrike disc1 missing XFree86-tools?

briankd at sonic.net briankd at sonic.net
Sat Jun 28 21:04:00 PDT 2003

I believe there is a problem with the RedHat 9 i386 CD image for disc 1
(at http://mirror.nblug.org/redhat/9/en/iso/i386/shrike-i386-disc1.iso).
I downloaded the RedHat 9 iso files, but I am unable to complete an
install with them.  It is disc 1 that is letting me down.  The problem
Seems to be that when the CD image was built, REQUIRED package file
XFree86-tools-4.3.0-2.rpm was completely ommitted. Even when I un-check
X-Windows while choosing packages to install, the process seems to require
this file.

More details:
There is no file XFree86-tools-4.3.0-2.rpm in the /RedHat/RPMS folder, and
there is no mention of the RPM in file /RedHat/RPMS/TRANS.TBL.  I was able
to fix these two problems by copying the file into the folder and editing
TRANS.TBL.  I think the insurmountable roadblock is in file
/RedHat/base/hdlist.  I see the file's XFree86 "siblings" mentioned 4 or 5
times each in hdlist, but I see the tools file only mentioned twice.  I
don't know the format of that file, so I can't insert the missing entries
there.  I'm stuck.

Once the install process finds that it cannot get this required package,
it stops cold, and there is no work-around (see attachment MVC-734X.JPG).

The three iso files I'm trying to make work are:
     shrike-i386-disc1.iso
     shrike-i386-disc2.iso
     shrike-i386-disc3.iso
and I have validated the MD5 values on the copies I downloaded.

The bottom line may be that we need an updated RedHat disk 1 ISO image on
the NLBUG web site.

Why am I doing this via the ISO images?  Well, the HTTP web-install does
not support the graphic based install.  This is a problem because the
package list is managed differently in the text-based versus the
graphics-based.  I am trying to follow the install instructions in
http://www.internetsecurityguru.com/documents/snort_acid_rh9.pdf .
Without graphics mode, I can't be sure I'm including and excluding the
correct packages.

--Brian

BrianKD at Sonic.net