[NBLUG/talk] [nbs@sonic.net: [vox-announce] Linux Demo in Davis, March 15th, 2003]

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Mon Mar 3 12:56:01 PST 2003

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 12:32:23PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:57:14AM -0800, augie wrote:
> > this is pretty interesting. anyone ever been to one of these?
>
> Why, yes! ;^)
>
> For those interested, we started this during the first International Linux
> Demo Day, I believe.  Our first venue was the local Farmer's Market.
[snip]

Actually, NBLUG did one that same day, in conjuction with an InstallFest.

I'm pretty sure we never ended up doing a second one though.  We're too
lazy.

> Eventually, we started going to Border's Books and the Davis Food Co-Op
> (they have a little demo kitchen).

Hmmm...  possible locations:
- the "non-profits" area of the "downtown market" on Wednesday evenings
  (coming up soon)
- computer shows
- in front of some local business somewhere?  (not sure which would be best?
  probably the closest equivelant to the "Davis Food Co-Op" would be Santa
  Rosa Community Market.  I have no idea how they'd feel about
  computer-related stuff going on out front, but they have had things like
  bead-sellers and peace advocates out front before.)  Borders?  Barnes and
  Nobles?  Copperfield's?
- at SSU, O'Reilly or SRJC?

> > anyone ever try one of these for NBLUG?
>
> Do it! :^)  Just make sure to advertise it well, otherwise it might not
> end up being worth it ;^)

Probably also helps if there's some kind of vague hint of regularity so
word-of-mouth from people who forget the URL can still help...

So, who wants to head up NBLUG's demo day?  Last time I believe it was
Devin, and he stopped being involved with NBLUG after he moved to the East
Bay.

I think the demo day would need:
a) at least 2 people to actually be there.
b) at least 1 computer running Linux
c) a location
d) a time
e) some way to set up the computer, such as a small table.  possibly also
   chairs.
f) power for the computer (battery's doable if it's a short event)
g) a coordinator to arrange all these things.
h) an announcement on the nblug.org website and to announce at nblug.org
i) some PR out to other places, possibly with printed flyers...

We could try doing the first one in the same location and at the same time
as the next InstallFest...  Even cooler if they'd let us drag a table out in
front and hang a sign or something, so random passers by would see it.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & President Pro Tempore for Life