[NBLUG/talk] Modems and other parts..

Nadina nadina at sonic.net
Tue May 27 07:05:01 PDT 2003

Well - how's this for embarassing - I thought that my modem was PCI (going from memory), but when I finally decided to take a good look at it, I discover that it's an ISA card.  Oops.  I still can't find much about the model (Zoom Faxmodem 2929) and I found an internal hard modem that looks like it will work.

Now I just have to work on getting it to actually print something!

I was looking through the games that come with the install and found Tux Racer - system slowed way down when I started it up. I thought at first it was the graphics card which only has 8 MB of RAM.  Nope, popped in one with 32 MB and it didn't help.  Hmmm...wonder why it's so slow - finally decided to look at the system requirements for running RH9 under the graphical mode and my system just barely meets requirements.  I have planned to install Linux for so long that it hadn't occurred to me that the system I was going to put it on might not run the lastest version real well.  I know I could get it run under text mode, but I like the idea of having the graphical mode until I can learn more about the commands.  For the most it's runs on this system (and as long as I don't start a couple of the games).  I am going to swap out the motherboard/CPU and it should be fine.

Once I get it running smoothly on the desktop, I would like to try to get it installed on my laptop - and woo hoo!! no more Windows!

Nadina