[NBLUG/talk] Jumping in with debian..

troy fryman at sonic.net
Mon Sep 29 14:22:00 PDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 12:04:43PM -0700, Mitch Patenaude wrote:
> As a longtime Mandrake and Redhat user, I've decided to make the jump
> into Debian with my new laptop install.  I've got jigdo and am
> downloading the iso's right now.  Does anybody know of any guides for
> those new to debian?

Although it's too late for you, I'll second Jeremy's reco. to forgo
ISO's and do a network install.  All my Debian installs, woody, sid,
whatever began from the same 3.0r1 mini install disk.

As for documentation,:
http://www.debian.org/doc/
<http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html> is a good
place to start.

A lot of this stuff:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/
Is way below your level, but has the advantage of being less verbose
than the first link.

There are a lot of debian documentation packages:
# apt-cache search doc | grep debian
for instance:
# apt-get install debian-guide

Last, although it's not documentation, <http://apt-get.org> is a nice URL to
know.  (sources for unofficial debian packages -- mplayer etc.)

> Also, I'm going to be making this dual-boot with WinXP pro (can't cut
> the ties to redmond completely yet.)  Is it better to install 'doze
> first and then Linux? or vice-versa?

If you install debian first, windows will wipe out the MBR and you'll
need a rescue disk to rewrite it.  If you install windows first, the
Debian installer will detect the ntfs partition and set you up with a
lilo stanza to boot it.

Enjoy!

-troy