[NBLUG/talk] Jumping in with debian..

Mitch Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Tue Sep 30 10:46:01 PDT 2003

On Monday, Sep 29, 2003, at 14:21 US/Pacific, troy wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 12:04:43PM -0700, Mitch Patenaude wrote:
>> As a longtime Mandrake and Redhat user, I've decided to make the jump
>> into Debian with my new laptop install.  I've got jigdo and am
>> downloading the iso's right now.  Does anybody know of any guides for
>> those new to debian?
>
> Although it's too late for you, I'll second Jeremy's reco. to forgo
> ISO's and do a network install.  All my Debian installs, woody, sid,
> whatever began from the same 3.0r1 mini install disk.

Well... After trying with the woody install and then changing
sources.list to point to "testing", I tried to upgrade to the 2.4.22
kernel, and rendered the system unbootable.... so I tried the net
install for sarge, and that didn't even boot properly from the CD.  Is
it worth trying a potato net install?

I'm tempted to go with Mandrake or RedHat.

   -- Mitch