[NBLUG/talk] Grabbing streaming audio to file

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Fri Jun 4 06:12:16 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 05:47:35AM -0700, Scott Doty wrote:
> Caveats:
>
> My version of mplayer knows how to handle rtsp:, but that may have come along
> with the "live" library.  In fact, I'm almost sure of it, as when I try an
> rtsp: URL with an mplayer binary built without "live", I get:
>
>    RTSP support requires the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" libraries!
>    Unable to open URL: rtsp://example.com:8000/

BTW:  I say "almost sure of it", as it tried to play the URL first, as if it
might have the capability with built-in libraries.  (MPlayer is somewhat
modular, so sometimes one will see the message that a format or codec didn't
work, only to discover that another part of MPlayer took up the slack...)

Just tested mplayer with the KQED radio stream -- plays fine, both with and
without Live (but in both cases, it seems to have needed the codec that
comes with RealPlayer8).  Further, I could play back the streams saved with
-dumpstream...

 -Scott