[NBLUG/talk] Setting up X on a secondary video card

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Wed Dec 28 10:02:56 PST 2005

The TNT2, if I recall correctly, falls under the purview of the legacy
nVidia drivers.  I would bear that in mind when poking about at the nv
driver.  I've not poked at too many nVidia cards, though.

It is odd, though, that the Radeon would come up as "unknown".  I would
investigate ATI's driver offerings, I use the proprietary driver on my
9800 Pro, and have achieved worthwhile results.  Though, it's important
that you not have tried to install any other ATI driver package or
somesuch first (or make sure you remove it carefully and completely first).

On another note (which I covered briefly at my accessibility talk), a
quick way to get your xorg.conf file set with appropriate Bus IDs and
such is 'X -configure'.  It is *very* useful and will frequently detect
and set-up multi-head configurations which you can then modify to your
heart's content.  I found this useful when setting up multi-head systems
with having a secondary display being used for magnification of the
primary display (yay for Gnopernicus and gnomemag!).

Hope that helps! :)

- Chris