OGO vs. OX - Re: [NBLUG/talk] alternative to Exchange?

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Tue Feb 1 12:49:30 PST 2005

There we go again with the 'drop in' replacement.  Let's say it would replace
and extended flexibility and functionality as it is based on open standards
and protocols.  I have not deployed OX or OGO in a mixed network, but from
what I have read on the subject the rub comes with user/corporate defacto
standard E-mail client/Calendaring app being Outlook.

OX is due to have an Outlook plugin out in release 0.8.0 I believe so those
Outlook clients (MAPI) can speak with OX and the other services that make up
the back end.  Most of the other 'open' clients interface with OX without a
hitch, but working around the chains of bondage Outlook (MAPI) takes
time......

I believe OGO has a functioning Outlook plugin that can be purchased to
interface with OGO.  This specific functionality seems more mature in OGO at
the moment.  Of course it is 'not free'.  Give the OX development team a bit
more time, I believe their target for the plugin is in the first quarter of
'05.

So technically the users would not notice a difference if they could continue
to use their familiar client (Outlook) and the plugin was available and
installed on their computer.

Take a look at the Exchange replacement diagram I got from....I forgot.. in
the Documents Section, Community Folder of my OX server.  Login as barney,
password mayberry.

Change is good, choice involves some uncertainty.  Time marches on.

On Monday 31 January 2005 08:54, Steve Johnson wrote:
> Overall is open-xchange a drop in replacement for a win2k box running
> exchange?  Will the end users notice if you were to do this say, over
> a weekend?  Monday morning, assuming you have all the passwords and
> logins ported over.. would the users notice?
>
> -Steve
>
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:27:24 -0800, Mark Street <mark at oswizards.com> wrote:
> > Well, I finally had to bite the bullet and install open-xchange.  I
> > quizzed the Novell geeks at Linuxworld quite a bit about it and it has
> > been on my list of things to give a look at.....and your question made me
> > do it. Nice....  But not for the faint of heart to setup and get
> > running..... Definitely not a 'drop in'.  I set it up on a Red Hat 9 box.
> >
> > I have both opengroupware (OGO) and open-xchange (OX) web interfaces
> > running side by side if anyone wants to give them a whirl.  I can mail
> > you a test login and password.
> >
> > OX uses alot of services to fulfill its duties, Apache, Java, Tomcat,
> > IMAP, SMTP, amavisd-new, ClamAV, PostgreSQL, LDAP, WebDav, plus you can
> > add Samba to make those doze client's just as happy as they want to be
> > for file and print serving.
> >
> > Quite a piece of work on both projects.  OGO is nearing version 1
> > release, I installed a 1.0 alpha while OX is at 0.7.5.
> >
> > On Friday 28 January 2005 11:26, Mark Street wrote:
> > > http://opengroupware.org
> > >
> > > I think I have it setup and not running on an old server somewhere
> > > around here.....

> > --
> > Mark Street, RHCE
> > http://www.oswizards.com
> > --
> > Key fingerprint = 3949 39E4 6317 7C3C 023E  2B1F 6FB3 06E7 D109 56C0
> > GPG key http://www.oswizards.com/pubkey.asc

Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com
GPG key http://www.oswizards.com/pubkey.asc