[NBLUG/talk] help with rlogin no-passwd problem

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Tue Feb 8 16:03:11 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 02:59:46PM -0800, Steve Wensel wrote:
> Yes, that's what I tried. It even fails with + +, which says to me that
> there some fundamentmental blockage. There must be something in the default
> insall configuration that blocks passwd-less rlogin.

Look in /etc/pam.d/rlogin, /etc/pam.d/rsh and /etc/pam.d/rexec

Then read /usr/share/doc/pam-*/txts/README.pam_rhosts

Then read http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/pam.html

Then go back and read the first two things.  (the docs make more sense after
looking at specific examples, but the examples make more sense after you've
read the docs.  the examples are short, though)

You may need to change a "required" to a sufficient and add "promiscuous"
at the end of a line in the pam.d files in order to do what you want.  It's
important to understand what you're doing when you mess with pam, though.

On most modern Linux distributions (including RHEL3; RH was one of the
first), PAM is used to handle authentication for anything that does
authentication.  It's how Linux authentication can be so very flexible.
Basically, when you try to log in, a series of plugins get run to decide
whether or not to let you in; some plugins do other things, for instance,
pam_console gives users that log in at the console access to things like
sound and the floppy drive.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder, Scribe and InstallFest Coordinator