[NBLUG/talk] Making esoteric /dev entries

A'fish'ionado afishionado at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 20:27:25 PST 2005

I'm trying to use an oddball USB device (the IR tower from the Lego
Mindstorms set). Fortunately, there's a module for it in the 2.6
kernel. I can load the module just fine, and it seems to talk to the
device. However, there's no entry under /dev for the device (there's
supposed to be an entry as /dev/usb/legousbtower0).

I've been playing with Debian's MAKEDEV script (why they had to name
it with all caps is beyond me), but it only seems to understand how to
make entries for devices in a list hardcoded into the script. I've
tried every option I can find documented, and it won't create an entry
for my device.

So, basically, what should I try now? This is on the Debian Sarge
install I just got running the other day.

William

--
Firefox 1.0 -- Rediscover the web!
www.firefox.com