[NBLUG/talk] Suggestions for newbie Linux Person

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Sep 26 10:12:55 PDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 09:37:54PM -0700, Walter Hansen wrote:
> I want to set up a dual boot for my wife. I'd like a distro that looks
> nice in x-windows and is easy to update and such.

Folks have suggested Ubuntu, which I've also heard good things about.
Personally, though, I seriously prefer KDE over GNOME, so if you want
a full-fledged desktop, I'd go the KDE route if I were you. :^)
(Either Debian testing with KDE 3.4 or the Kubuntu variation of Ubuntu.)

(My wife uses KDE on her IBM Thinkpad T20 laptop with no problems.
She finally upgraded to 512MB of memory, but that was mostly because she
does very complicated things in Inkscape.  I was using KDE on my 450MHz desktop
with 256MB of RAM.  It worked well.  Obviously it's even better on my new
1.5GHz machine with ~1GB of RAM. :^)  We're both using Debian testing (etch).)

Good luck!

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com