[NBLUG/talk] Suggestions for newbie Linux Person

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Mon Sep 26 10:35:43 PDT 2005

I use Ubuntu at home and find it to be *very* easy to use and very
friendly.  I highly recommend it over Fedora..   However, if you are
going to install Ubuntu, stick with 5.04 for the time-being as 5.10 is
still in pre-release stages, I believe.

I installed Kubuntu for someone at the last installfest, the install was
easy and all the set-up went generally quite well (including the
dual-boot part between Win2k, Win 98, and Kubuntu).  I don't exactly
remember the specs of her machine, but I'm pretty sure it had 128 MB
RAM, and was running surprisingly well.

Regarding the method of accessing NTFS partition R/W, the method Lincoln
is referring to is CaptiveNTFS:
http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

Thanks go to Kyle Rankin, for the demonstration of this quite useful
utility when giving a talk on the system recovery benefits of Knoppix. :)

Regarding XFree86 and x.org config files, when I moved from XFree86 to
x.org on my workstation at the office, I continued to use the same
config file, with no changes, without any difficulty whatsoever.

- Chris