[NBLUG/talk] Networking newbie

E Frank Ball frankb at frankb.us
Fri Jan 6 12:25:54 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 12:07:43PM -0800, A'fish'ionado wrote:
} Hello,
}
} My family is considering signing up for the cheap SBC Yahoo DSL
} service. A Google search revealed a success story using the service
} with Linux (apparently you need some Windows-only software to set up
} the account, but not to connect once the account is set up).
}
} What I would like to do is set up a home network, connect an old box
} running Linux or BSD (probably Linux, at least until I have a chance
} to get familiar with BSD) to the DSL line, and have it do IP
} forwarding so all the other computers in the house can connect through
} it.

I'm using a Linux box (Debian) for a DSL router and server.

See Shorewall http://www.shorewall.net/
It sets up the firewall and routing (forwarding) and it's
pretty easy to use.

  Frank Ball  frankb at frankb.us