[NBLUG/talk] Networking newbie

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Fri Jan 6 15:22:40 PST 2006

> My family is considering signing up for the cheap SBC Yahoo DSL
> service. A Google search revealed a success story using the service
> with Linux (apparently you need some Windows-only software to set up
> the account, but not to connect once the account is set up).

Hi William,

You probably don't need the Windows machine to set it up. I never did.

Basically you either get a PPPOE dsl modem or a dsl bridge. If it's a
bridge, you don't need to do anything at all, just plug it in. If it's
PPPOE, you need to run a PPPOE daemon that contains your username
user at sbcglobal.net and password. This daemon runs on either the sole
computer in your household or on a router.

Since you are setting up a firewall and NAT translation box, the PPPOE
daemon runs on it. That machine will need two ethernet cards. You'll also
need an ethernet switch or hub to spilt the ethernet up to your other
computers.

For several years it was all PPPOE but lately the shift has been (a good
one) to using dsl bridges. Sonic currently ships Zoom brand dsl bridges.
In practice there's no real difference except having to run the PPPOE
daemon.

> What I would like to do is set up a home network, connect an old box
> running Linux or BSD (probably Linux, at least until I have a chance
> to get familiar with BSD) to the DSL line, and have it do IP
> forwarding so all the other computers in the house can connect through
> it.

You can do that, but most people just buy a linksysdlinknetgear cable/dsl
router or a wireless router. They don't use much electricity and are
pretty cheap, and they will do the PPPOE thing if you need it. They also
have a 4 port ethernet switch so you won't have to buy one of those (if 4
connected computers is enough).

> I've never set up a network before.

Whatever box you have, linux or storebought router, will be running a DHCP
client on the incoming port and a DHCP server on the outgoing port(s), so
you won't need to do much setup until you decide to open up ports for
gaming, servers, or bittorrent.

By the way, sonic no longer offers static IP addresses except in their
expensive plans. Another thing taken away from the basic plans is port 25
except to sonic's servers. No big deal for a home user unless you plan on
serving up a whole lotta spam.

Cheerful regards,

Bob