[NBLUG/talk] CGI programming memory lapse

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 5 12:33:23 PDT 2006

About five years ago, I knew how to write CGI web applications using
Perl.  Last week, I found reason to write another such application.
Unfortunately, five years of inactivity* can lead to a surprising loss
of skill!

Specifically, while I'm having little difficulty getting Perl scripts to
compile and run, or getting MySQL to behave the way I expect, I cannot
seem to remember how to make Perl scripts read the data submitted to
them via HTML forms (as per the <form> tag).  And I no longer seem to
have a copy of _CGI Programming with Perl_!

Since it will take me at least a few days to replace my copy of the
book, and I can't seem to make any sense of the pages I get when I
search Google for "Perl CGI" (without quotation marks), would someone
mind refreshing my memory as to how to read input from an HTML form?

* This is not to say I haven't done ANY programming in the last 5 years;
only that I haven't done any CGI programming in the last 5 years.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish,
and he'll invite himself over for dinner.
		-- Calvin Keegan