[NBLUG/talk] Older Server

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Sat Jan 26 09:49:41 PST 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:48:36AM -0800, Walter Hansen wrote:
> That is kinda what I was thinking, but haven't taken the time to work on
> yet. If a couple of these files became corrupted it might be possible to
> do a install on a spare drive and copy the files over to get it going. I
> did find that some lower blocks were affected, but it was mostly upper
> blocks. e2fsck took quite a while and I did multiple passes. Even did a
> -c -c -y pass.

I remember running across this before, when trying to run a 2.6 kernel on a
Red Hat 7.3 installation (which used 2.4 kernels) -- however, I don't
remember what the fix was. :(

What bootstrap loader are you running (grub, lilo, or ...?), and is your
system set up to use "yum" with fedoralegacy?  I ask the latter, because if
you can get the thing to boot with a 2.4 kernel, you could update init
(which I remember trying when I ran across this before, but I don't remember
if this was the fix or not)...

...but of course, this all assumes you're trying to run a 2.6 kernel.  Are you?

 -Scott