[NBLUG/talk] Small laptops, small keyboards

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Fri Jul 11 16:45:54 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 02:53:27PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> Have any of the Eee PC users on the list been bothered by the small
> keyboard?  As much as I like the idea of a small laptop, I find small
> keyboards very uncomfortable to work on, even for relatively short
> periods of time.

I had a Lifebook for a while, which has similar keyboard size issues.

Basically, you can get used to it.  Even with big hands like I have.  It's
helpful if you type with consistent finger movements and curled fingers so
that you're poking the same spot with the tip of your finger instead of
slapping the pads of your fingers around somewhat randomly.

Note: you don't get an Eee PC or Lifebook to be your main and only system.
(usually) You get it to be the system you have with you all the time, but
for extended sessions you're likely to want a larger keyboard, larger
monitor, etc.  The screen and keyboard's big enough for light web browsing,
reading and writing email and IM, but I'd find it really painful for, say,
writing code where I'm likely to have 3 to 6 windows open in editors and
debuggers and program test runs all at the same time.

In other words: it's fine for doing one thing at a time, but sucks for doing
a dozen things at once.  :)
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder