[NBLUG/talk] thunderbird filter problem

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Mar 17 09:52:04 PDT 2008

steven smith wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'm using thunderbird for my email client.  Recently I
> started using the filter tool to filter incoming mail into
> different folders and now I noticed that it doesn't always
> update the unread counter for the folder.  Has anyone else
> noticed this?  I'm on 1.5.0.1 release on ubuntu..  It seems
> like this would have been noticed before, so I'm guessing I
> have something configured wrong.
>
> Thanks
> Steve S.

Believe it or not, this is actually a bizarre "feature".  If you
right-click on one of those folders and check the box for "check this
folder for new messages", then TBird will do it automatically, but
otherwise not.  And, yeah, this appears to need to be done on a
case-by-case basis for every folder.

I'm guessing that they did this so that TBird could cut down on IMAP
traffic (i.e., not have to query every folder).  But, from a usability
perspective, this is really moronic, IMO, and one of the most annoying
things about TBird.

HTH,

DR