[NBLUG/talk] domain name registrar which uses spam list on outgoing mail?

Kendall Shaw kshaw at kendallshaw.com
Mon Dec 3 17:46:46 PST 2012

On 12/03/2012 05:11 PM, Robert P. Thille wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2012, at 12:28 PM, Kendall Shaw wrote:
>
>> So, people send me email and get back an email from some company that
>> uses spamhaus saying that email can not be relayed because the host is
>> a known spammer. People sending the email interpret this as either
>> cognitive dissonance resulting in my having lost communication, or
>> they think that I am a spammer.
>
> This bit doesn't make sense to me.  Are you saying that spamhaus thinks
> you are a spammer (your MX IP anyway), and so they can't _send_ email to
> you?  That's bizarre. I've never heard of someone blocking email _to_ a
> spammer, only _from_ a spammer.

Hi. The situation was that I pay for a domain name, and payed for email
forwarding using their mail servers, i.e. MX records pointing to their
mail servers. Their mail servers would get on the real-time block list
at spamhaus. So, people sending me email, would get back a message from
some other company, not me nor the registrar, saying that they refuse to
relay the email, because the registrar's mail server is a known spammer.

I think that because their mail servers relay email, they are spamming,
in a sense, by relaying the email.

So, my reasoning was that if I could have email forwarded by a company
that uses the spamhaus real-time blocklist, it would not get on that
particular list, at least.

It turns out that Sonic is such a place. So, now my domain has MX
records pointing to Sonic's servers. It's $2 a month for the MX account
+ $4 a month for the email account, incidentally.

I think a confusing part of what I said and what I put int he subject,
was that I didn't distinguish between the mail servers owned by the
domain registrar and the registrar's role as a DNS server, and lumped it
all together as "email forwarding".

Kendall