[NBLUG/talk] Data recovery recommendations

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 14:57:56 PST 2017

I've never used their service myself, but I've heard very good things about
DriveSavers.  They aren't cheap (they use a proper clean room to open and
inspect the drive), but if there is data to be recovered from the drive,
they'll find it.

There are less expensive options, such as dd_rescue, but as you are aware,
there is a chance that powering on the drive in its current state could
cause further damage.  Ultimately, I think your client needs to decide how
valuable the data is, and be willing to pay accordingly.

If nothing else, you might want to see if you can get your client to do
regular backups.