[NBLUG/talk] preferences on software package versions, thoughts on Snap/Flatpak/Appimage

Brad Morrison bradmorrison at sonic.net
Mon Jul 4 12:50:04 PDT 2022

Hi all,

As I'm fairly new to Linux, I'm sure that there are reasons for why the
software packages in the Ubuntu repositories are often not the latest
versions available via the various projects' websites. I tend to prefer
to not use Flakpak/Flathub, after reading a blog post from Clem, the
project lead of Linux Mint (which is the distro I use) about his
concerns about Snap (https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3906). But I have
noticed that for both FreeCAD and gnuCash, the Flatpak versions are
considerably more recent/updated than the "Ubuntu" version (is that what
you call it?) also available in the Linux Mint software manager.

FreeCAD: 18.4 for the Ubuntu version v. 19.4 for the Flathub version -
https://www.freecadweb.org/

gnuCash: 3.8b for the Ubuntu version v. 4.10+ for the Flathub version -
https://www.gnucash.org/
<https://www.gnucash.org/>

I could also download the appimage from the FreeCAD website, but I like
centrally managed updates.

Does anyone else have any thoughts to share on this? Preferences?

And I've also wondered how the desktop version of Signal is set up so
that the package is installed via the Linux Mint software manager, but
the updates come via the web (from Signal). Is that another approach to
similar issues?

Thanks!

Brad