[NBLUG/talk] preferences on software package versions, thoughts on Snap/Flatpak/Appimage

Derek B. Noonburg derekn at foolabs.com
Tue Jul 5 15:00:12 PDT 2022

If you want the latest versions of applications, your choices come down
to:

(1) Run a Linux distribution that updates things often, which probably
means a rolling release distro.  Oh, and you also need to make sure
that the distro packages the particular apps you want.

(2) Run binaries built by the application developers.  Lately those
have been moving toward flatpak/appimage/snap/whatever.  I haven't
personally played with any of those formats, but they feel pretty
kludgey to me -- "All these Linux distros have different library
versions...  I know, we'll package up all of the libraries (almost a
mini Linux distro) with our app."  I guess that approach does "fix" the
problem, but ick.

This also has the downside of requiring you to make sure the apps get
updated -- as you pointed out.

(3) Build the applications yourself from source.  This avoids library
version problems, but obviously requires some extra work.  Maybe worth
it if you have a small number of applications that you really care
about keeping current, maybe not.

Also, some applications are pretty easy to build from source, and some
are a major pain in the butt.  It's kind of hard to tell until you
actually try to build them.

This has the same update problem as option 2.

It would be nice if the Linux folks could settle on a single desktop
distribution, so that application developers could simply package for
that distro.  But: https://xkcd.com/927/

Given all of that, do you really need the absolute latest versions of
those applications?  For system libraries and common attack targets (web
browsers), you clearly want to apply security updates promptly.
Centralized system updates are great for that.  For other things... how
many security updates (as opposed to bug fix and feature updates) does
FreeCAD (for example) receive?

If you really do want the updates -- maybe you ran into a bug in
FreeCAD that's been fixed, maybe Mint has a particularly old version,
or whatever -- if there are only a couple applications like that, then
maybe it's worth considering option 2 (or 3) for just those
applications.

- Derek